The aftermath of a severe accident with an 18-wheeler or a commercial truck affects victims and family members. Along with emotional and physical trauma, accident victims face considerable amounts in lost wages, medical bills, property damage, rehabilitation costs, and other losses. Below is a list of questions to ask a truck accident attorney before hiring.
What Kind Of Evidence Should You Collect?
It is necessary to compile evidence that supports the claim to secure compensation. The most crucial proof after being involved in a truck accident includes:
- Your vehicle:Car damage provides the required information regarding the accident. Victims are advised to keep the car after the occurrence of an accident until the lawyer documents the evidence. Repairing the vehicle right away will erase crucial evidence that can help the claim.
- Photos from the scene:Take pictures of the car, the truck, license plate number, the injuries, positioning of the vehicles, and anything which can be used as evidence.
- Witness statements:Request for contact information and names of various witnesses present at the accident scene. Always take notice of what they see.
- Police accident report:Ask for a copy of the crash report from various law enforcement officers present at the scene.
What Is My Case Worth?
Victims of a truck accident have to know the worth of their case. A lawyer must document the damages and review the matter thoroughly to have an accurate upfront estimate.
- Lost wages:Truck accident victims are usually unable to return to work after a crash. If the victims cannot return to work temporarily or permanently, they are entitled to compensation for such losses.
- Medical expenses:Medical bills make most truck accident claims. Negligent drivers are supposed to cater to those bills by paying for them for the victims.
- Rehabilitative costs:Most victims involved in truck accidents undergo extensive rehabilitation. It is not only costly but time-consuming when recovering from the injuries.
- Pain and suffering:Such losses compensate for emotional and physical pain incurred by the victims due to the crash.
- Permanent disability:Losses caused by disfigurement are usually difficult to overcome. Accident victims have to be compensated for such losses.
In addition to the highlighted damages, a court may reward punitive damages to the at-fault party due to gross negligence.
What’s Your Background And Experience?
Before hiring truck accident lawyers, the first thing a victim should know is whether such professionals have the required educational background to pursue the case. Inquire about the law school attended by a legal expert and establish whether the attorney is licensed.
Ask questions regarding the lawyer’s professional experience and the number of years they have practiced personal injury law. An attorney who has tons of experience handling such cases is considered competent and is highly sought after by most clients.
Is A Truck Accident Lawsuit Worth the Effort?
Most truck accidents are traumatic to victims, and most of them want to move forward with their life by focusing on the recovery process and putting the incident out of their minds. Filing a lawsuit is a daunting task. However, individuals who sustain severe injuries may consider filing a claim.
With proper representation in court proceedings, victims can secure compensation for their medical bills and future expenses related to the injuries. The victims of truck accidents must claim compensation right away before it is too late.
What Are Your Legal Fees?
Discussing the fee structure with the 18 wheeler accident lawyer is essential to minimize conflicts once the case is over. Most truck accident lawyers charge their clients on a contingency fee basis, and finding out the exact figure and any other expense that may come along is necessary. Victims must compare the attorney fees to secure a cost-friendly offer and avoid being overcharged.
Victims of a truck accident are advised to hire a seasoned lawyer to secure compensation for the claims. Seek help from family members and friends to hire the best lawyer for representation in court proceedings.